Tuesday 2 September 2008

Who Is DBO? An Interview with the artist behind Spindecks latest creative endeavor


Spindeck has gone artistic with the launch of amazing new deck graphics thanks to an awesomely talented young artist called DBO. We thought you might want to get to know the artist behind this project so we sat our friend DBO down with a cup of cold tea and decided to find out what makes him tick.

So in one sentence who is DBO and what do we need to know about him?
DBO is a complex creature who tends to like his beer warm and his tea cold, a simple contradiction which pretty much sums up his muddled existence.

How would you describe your art and does it have a label?
I think when you try to define anything, it becomes constrained. The fundamental thing for me behind creativity is freedom, my art is driven by a desire to be free from the constraints of modern society and just do what I want. I get lumped into a sort of ‘Street Art’ category, which in reality is far removed from what my art is, well at least to me. Tree’s were Tree’s a long time before humans felt the need to label them.

When did you first realize that you were an artist?
Only recently, which when I look back is ridiculous! I have always created stuff and designed stuff. But ‘DBO’ as an artist is only a recent incarnation, it was when I truly realised that art can be whatever you want it to be, and in turn you can be free during its creation that I uncovered something which seemed to fit, and not much had fitted before that point. I studied art at college but I wouldn’t say I felt like and artist then, I just went through the motions because it was something I was good at, I used it as an ends to a means.

But then that all sounds like Bollox, everyone’s an artist, somewhere inside. Most people are to scared to speak there mind, let alone pour it out onto a piece of paper so everyone can judge it.

Which people and what experiences in your life have influenced you and how?
I went through a period towards the end of my degree and during some time spent abroad that was psychologically quite intrusive, It forced me to look at myself what I was doing and how I affected the others around me. I guess that time made me more thoughtful and hopefully a better person. But also it helped me asses what I want from life, what I want to achieve and which things I should place value on.

There’s certain people that were involved in that period of my life that were absolute gems, I would have struggled without them, but then in turn the absence of other people during those times was of the strongest inspiration to me.

What other interests do you have besides your art?
I have to say I’m quite focussed when it comes to my art, it saved me from myself for quite some time and so I feel like I almost owe it in a way, like a friend I don’t want to let down. So I think about it a lot, and try to put as much time in as I can, without it becoming too much like work. But when I’m not working in my job as a designer for an events management company I like to exercise, listen to music and read, the usual really. Its always good to hang out with some good mates as well, not much point doing anything if you cant share it with the good people.

Which pieces of your work are you most proud of and why?
Every piece takes on its own life and personality, I switch between loving a piece and wanting to smash it to pieces. I guess the pieces I’m most proud of are those that I’ve given to someone I care about, that’s when a piece has its most value.

When I look at your art I am mesmerized by the detail and complexity of the various elements. What inspires your work and where do you get all your new ideas?
Sometimes pieces start from a single line, or the way a few lines interact with each other, that in turn starts a chain reaction and it carries on like that till I’ve had enough. Its sometimes hard to define what my work is, I very rarely see something that exists in reality and use it in a piece, for me that’s not what its about.

I guess its just life and living which inspires me, there’s a lot to be said on a lot of subjects, and how you choose to say it is up to you.

Do you mull over new ideas for a long time before putting pen to paper or do you just go with the spur of the moment?
I have had ideas in my head that I’ve been mulling over for years, and I’m just looking for a way to visually do them justice. Sometimes I sketch something that I know I have to create a finished piece from, but I agonise about how to do it justice for so long, that it just sits in a pile. Most of my finished pieces, start from an initial idea and I have at the moment I’m doing it, and for that reason I think emotively speaking, the pieces I put out there are far removed from what I really want to be producing.

How long did it take you to solidify your style and how did it evolve?
I find questions like this tricky, for me my style isn’t solidified, its in its infancy its growing and developing. I can pin point a point in time around 2 years ago that I sat down and thought I’m going to start drawing, what you see of my work now is a point in a journey. I think the problem with the idea of a ‘Style’ sometimes is that artist spend more time running away from other people’s than trying to find there own. I find that time spent away from actually creating art is perhaps more valuable to its progression than the hours spent actually executing it.

What media do you work in?
My work always starts out as a pencil sketch, which I then ink in. this leaves me with a nice flowing uncorrupted black and white drawing, which I can either scan in to colour or do by hand with acrylic, Often I miss the black and white image after I’m done.

For my day job I do a lot of 3D visualization using a computer, I’m thinking about trying to apply this to my artwork, so we’ll se what happens with that one. But still for me its always important to start with a pencil sketch, something that comes from me and my body.

A lot of graffiti inspired artists are driven by the desire to get their art on something and get a political message out – is that a big drive for you or do you have another motive?
There are a lot of clichés out there with the political art scene and I will always try to avoid them. Society’s a mess, everyone knows it, were all to confused I think, like we started chasing an ideal way back when and now we just carry on in the same direction without questioning where we are going.

There are idea’s that are forming in my head for pieces relating to politics and the subjects that surround it, but they're in their infancy, the questions I subtly pose in my work have more of a psychological or philosophical foundation. Basically I either focus on myself, or on something beyond the grasp of human comprehension, it’s the in-between that I struggle with, but that will change as me and my work mature.

What attracted you to the Spindeck Skins project?
Well when you said to me, ‘you can do whatever you want’ that was a definite selling point. But I guess what was important for me was that when I spoke to you guys I felt like I wanted to do something really good for you. Companies like ‘Spindeck’ are what Business should be about, people doing something related to something they love, utilizing their relevant skills and enjoying it!

Were there any challenges in getting your style onto a skate deck?
The ‘Spindeck’ project was the first time I have taken the opportunity to digitally illustrate my work. Although I love the results I felt a certain detachment from the piece, it was more of a mechanical process than I’m used to with my artwork. That was a challenge for me, to feel so detached from a piece. But I really enjoyed working in this format, its quite a dynamic shape, and I think my work lends itself to this kind of thing.

Where would you like to see a piece of your work sitting one day?
Sitting in front of me on a wall , in the house that I built amongst the trees for me and my family(non of which exist yet), I’d like to look at it and go, yeah I’m happy with that.

I guess this question has certain commercial connotations really, Like do I want to be famous for my work and sell it for loads of money etc. Although the commercial side of art I feel corrupts its intent, I would rather sell my art for a living that slave away for ‘The man’ nine to five, and that’s my ultimate goal, the financial value that other people attribute to my work will always be secondary to the value I gain from it!

In the future I would like to get more of my stuff out there, both in the form of paintings and commissions from people like yourself. I'm having a great time with it all at the moment, I’ve met some cool people and had some great experiences, so hopefully it will carry on in the same vein.

Which other artists on the scene do you respect at the moment?
Artist like ‘Will Barris’, ‘Mr Jago’ and ‘Steff Platz’ stand out for me, they have all achieved a level of skill which amazes me. They're strong individuals who’s work manages to stay unique amid a scene where there’s a lot of similar stuff being produced.

On a personal level artists who I’ve met and formed strong relationships with are guys like ‘Kev munday’ who runs ’Under the Hat clothing’ and a night called ‘Visual Tourettes’ as well as the guys from ‘Two Pence.’ They are all doing their own thing and trying to make their own way through life. I have a lot of time for people who actually get out there and do stuff rather than leaving it to other people.

What is your involvement with For Boarders By Boarders?
FBBB is a great organisation run my a friend of mine called Mike Chen. In simple terms it’s a collective of people associated with snowboarding, the lifestyle and the mindset behind it, be it actually snowboarding, music or art.

I got involved with them a few years back when I organised an art show which took place during their summer jam session at the MK Snozone and I plan to exhibit with them and maybe do a bit of live painting during their summer tour which takes place at various venues this summer. Mikey’s a great guy who’s simply doing it for the love of it, I owe him a lot already, I’ve met some great people through knowing him, and done some quality stuff, he gives a lot of himself to the scene and I have the up most respect for what he’s doing.

Where next for DBO? What projects are you working on and what can we look forward to in the future?
At the moment I’m focussed on organising and producing work for a show called ‘Creativity Killed the Cat’ which we are running in association with FBBB [from the 23rd - 28th June] at the New Cross Gallery in London. It promises to be a great week. After that I’m going to re group a bit, asses where me and my work are at and think about where I want to take it. I’m keen to get involved in other small brands like yourself, but also I’d like to get a range of products up and running based around my work and hopefully collaborations with other artists.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home